Monday, November 2, 2009

Thoughts on the Project and Creative Response

I'm feeling better about my own research paper. In many ways I feel like I have too many good ideas to expand upon. I'd like to focus on the development of the tag and its continued relationship with society. However, I feel I could present a argumentative paper about graffiti versus art and advertising in support of creative commons equally as well. I hope to narrow down my focus soon and build my actual body pieces for the paper. I still feel like I'm not properly managing my time though. I have so much work to do for my design classes that I have to force myself to remember to work on this (and other) class work.

In terms of the creative response I think I have a good idea (if I can get the time and motivation to follow through that is). I'd like to do a video about graffiti as social media. In the video I would provide a large board and invite people to come and 'tag' it with their own graffiti. As the people contribute, they will eventually interact with each other and create new images. In this way people would be remixing and erasing and copying all at once. I think I might also provide some stencils so that people who don't feel comfortable with their own artistic abilities can contribute. In this way I will have some standard pieces for comparison as well as an example of instructional graffiti. I think it would be really interesting, though time-consuming. I might want to use acrylic paint rather than spray paint to reduce drying time, air quality issues and provide greater medium control for the participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment